Click on one of the topics below to get answers to Frequently Asked Questions:






When are my taxes due and when does interest begin?
Property taxes are due and payable September 1st of the current year. Stanly County currently offers a 1% discount for those paying prior to September 1st. On January 6th, taxes are considered delinquent and accrue interest at a rate of 2% for the month of January, plus 3/4 % each month thereafter. For payments which are mailed, interest and penalties are determined by the date of the U.S. Postal postmark; postal meter dates are not accepted.

My mortgage company should pay this bill. Why am I getting this bill and is there anything I am required to do?
Even if you have an escrow account with a mortgage company the tax bill will be sent to you in July. Most mortgage companies or their agent will request a copy of the tax bill and pay the tax bill prior to September 1st to take advantage of the 1% discount offered by the county. The Tax Office depends on the mortgage company to determine which bills they require for payment. If you are unsure as to whether your tax bill has been paid please check with your mortgage company.

May I Make Partial Payments?
Partial payments are accepted in the Tax Collections Office from the time you receive your tax bill until January 6th of the following year.

Will my taxes be going up this year?
The County's tax rate did not go up in 2017.  However, some of the municipalities and fire district tax rates did change.  Your value on your property could also have changed due to the 2017 Revaluation or if you have had some form of construction/remodeling within the past year, or sold property.  

< top of page

My house wasn't complete as of January 1st. Why did I get a tax bill for it?
Per North Carolina General Statutes, you were assessed on the percentage of the house that was complete as of January 1st. The full value of the house will be reflected on your tax bill once the house is completed.

The value of my home appears to have declined over the past several months. Why does my assessed value remain unchanged?
Per North Carolina General Statutes, changes in the market due to general economic conditions (up or down) occurring since the last revaluation date (January 1, 2017) cannot be considered until the next revaluation which is scheduled in Stanly County for January 1, 2021.

When can I appeal my current assessment?
The timeframe to appeal your 2017 assessment has expired.  You may appeal your 2018 assessment prior to the adjournment of the Board of Equalization and Review.  Please contact the Stanly County Tax Administrator's Office at 704-986-3631 to schedule an informal appeal between January 1, 2018 and March 1, 2018.  Appeals registered after  March 1, 2018 may need to be heard formally by the Board of Equalization and Review.

My house or outbuilding has been damaged or removed since January 1st of the current year. Will I still owe property taxes on these improvements?
Yes. Per North Carolina General Statutes the value of a parcel is based on the state of the property as of January 1st of the current year. We strive to have current data for your property so please take the time to contact our office at 704-986-3626 to let us know if any buildings or improvements have been torn down, damaged, moved, or added since your last tax bill.

What does the COLLECTION STATUS: USE mean?
It means the property has been qualified for a tax deferment. For more information please call the Assessor’s Office at (704) 986-3630.

< top of page


What qualifies as taxable individual personal property?
Personal property consists of boats and motors, jet skis, mobile homes (that are set up on land owned by someone other than the mobile home owner), aircraft (includes hot air balloons and gliders), and all unlicensed (untagged) automobiles, trucks, trailers, campers, and motorcycles. Business personal property includes business machinery and equipment, tractors, and other farm equipment used to produce income.

When should I list personal property?
During the month of January each year. We begin listing personal property on January 2nd. The last day to list or postmark the listing form is January 31st. A 10% late listing penalty will be charged for listings received or postmarked after January 31st.

If I still own the same personal property as I listed last year, do I still need to list?
Yes. Personal property must be listed each year.

When should I let you know that I have sold my personal property?
This can be reported during the listing period on the listing form, you will need to provide the name of the new owner and the date of sale.

My boat is registered with the North Carolina Wildlife Commission, and I keep a current tag on my boat trailer. Do I still have to list my boat?
Yes. A boat trailer with a valid unexpired tag is considered a registered vehicle and does not need to be listed. However, boats are not tagged like the trailers and need to be listed each January in accordance with North Carolina General Statutes.

I sold my boat during the current calendar year. Will my tax bill be prorated based on the period of time that I owned the boat?
No. There is no provision in the tax law to prorate individual personal property taxes, with the exception of registered motor vehicles. You are assessed based on the status of the property as of January 1st. 

When will I receive the bill for my personal property?
You should receive your tax statement in late July.

How and when may I appeal the value of my personal property?
All appeals must be made to the Stanly County Tax Administrator's Office, 201 South Second Street, Albemarle, NC 28001 within 30 days of the bill date.



Motor Vehicle Taxation – Tag and Tax Together

The North Carolina General Assembly passed House Bill 1779, creating what we call the Tag and Tax Together program – a more streamlined method for vehicle owners to pay their registration and vehicle taxes. Beginning in 2013, annual registration fees and vehicle property taxes will be paid to the Division of Motor Vehicles. In turn, the DMV will distribute the taxes to the appropriate counties.

What changes with the passage of this legislation? 

Prior to this change, vehicle registration fees and vehicle property taxes have been billed and paid separately. Each county has been responsible for managing vehicle tax collections, while DMV collects registration fees.

In mid-2013, DMV will begin sending out registration renewal notices that invoice the vehicle tax due along with the registration fee. The fees are listed separately, but will be due at the same time. The total amount due on the combined statement will be payable to NCDMV. As before, you can pay online, through the mail or in person at a license plate agency near you.

When does the new Tag and Tax system take effect? 

The new system will be phased in with the vehicle registration renewals that are due September 2013. By mid-2014, all North Carolina vehicles will be incorporated into the system.

What will be different about my annual renewal notice? 

The new renewal notice combines the information about your vehicle registration renewal fee and the vehicle property tax due. The new notice includes separate contact information for registration questions and for tax questions. The new Tag and Tax Together program allows you to make one convenient payment to NCDMV for both registration renewal and vehicle property tax. NCDMV will forward the property tax portion of your payment directly to your county revenue department.

Will anyone have to pay vehicle property taxes more than once in a tax year? 

No owner will have to pay taxes twice in the same tax year for the same vehicle. It is important to look at the vehicle property tax year rather than the calendar year. By law, the tax year for your vehicle begins on the first day of the first month following the date your previous registration expires or the new registration is applied for. While it is possible to pay twice in a calendar year, no vehicle owner will pay twice in the same tax year or for the same 12-month period.

Example: A vehicle with an August renewal date (sticker) was renewed in August 2012, taxes due and paid December 1, 2012. The taxes are for the period of September 2012 to the end of August 2013. Now, when the owner renews tags in August 2013 and pays taxes at that time, the taxes are for the same period, September 2013 to the end of August 2014.

With this program, the due date for the taxes has been moved to the first month of the “tax and vehicle registration year” from the fourth month of the same period. Tags and taxes have always been and continue to be paid for the same upcoming 12-month period.

When is my vehicle tax due? 

Your vehicle tax will be due at the same time your vehicle registration is due. The due date will be printed on the new renewal notice that you receive in the mail.

How should I pay both fees? 

You no longer have to pay the fees separately. You will pay both fees through the NCDMV:

Go the Vehicle Registration Renewal page and pay with your credit or check card

By mail
Send a check or money order to the address listed on your renewal notice*

In person
Go to a license plate agency near you,
Or to one of the State Registration Offices:

Raleigh DMV Headquarters
1100 New Bern Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27697

Charlotte State Office
6016 Brookshire Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28216

*If your mailing address has changed since your last registration renewal, the tax amount may need to be recalculated. If this is the case, do not mail your payment in. Contact your county tax office to see if your tax amount needs to be recalculated.

Will my vehicle registration renewal fee remain the same? 

Yes. Your vehicle’s annual registration renewal fees will remain the same. The increase in your bill is from the addition of the vehicle property tax.

Do I still need to have my car inspected before I can renew my registration? 

Yes. Your vehicle must pass an annual safety and/or emissions inspection before the registration is renewed. As in previous years, you may have your vehicle inspected as early as 90 days before your registration renewal is due.

How will I know how much property tax I owe? 

Information about your property tax will be included on the combined notice, along with your county and municipality tax rates and other applicable taxes due.

Can I renew my vehicle registration without paying my property tax? 

No. You cannot renew your motor vehicle’s registration unless the total taxes and registration fees on the vehicle are paid at the same time.

Are the vehicle property taxes for the coming year or the preceding year? 

Taxes due on the combined notice are for the coming year, covering the same period as the vehicle registration.

Will I receive a notice if I have moved since my previous vehicle registration renewal? 

If you reported your new address to NCDMV, you should receive your tag and tax notice at your new address. If you did not notify NCDMV of your new address, you may not receive the renewal notice.

If you have moved since your last renewal, your vehicle property tax may need to be recalculated. DO NOT SEND YOUR RENEWAL AND PAYMENT BY MAIL. YOU WILL NEED TO VISIT YOUR LOCAL LICENSE PLATE AGENCY TO RECEIVE A CORRECTED TAG AND TAX FEE. You can change your address by visiting your local license plate agency or by requesting the change online.

Will I owe vehicle property taxes on a newly purchased vehicle? 

Yes. You may pay vehicle property taxes at the time you register your vehicle. However, if you choose not to pay these taxes at the time you register your newly purchased vehicle, you will receive a Limited Registration and Property Tax Notice stating the amount of the vehicle property taxes due. You will receive a limited registration sticker that will expire after 60 days if the vehicle’s property taxes are not paid in full.

What will happen if I don’t pay the registration and vehicle tax by the due date? 

Interest will be charged on late vehicle property tax payments and on late registration renewals. Your vehicle will also be subject to citation if it is driven after the tags expire.

Can I pay my vehicle property tax at my county tax office? 

Once your vehicle becomes part of the Tag and Tax Together program and you have received the combined notice, you will no longer be able to pay your vehicle tax at your county tax office.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my vehicle property tax? 

If you have Value and Situs questions concerning registered motor vehicle taxation in Stanly County, please contact the Motor Vehicle Department of the Tax Administrator’s Office at 704-986-3746.  Contact information for your county's tax office is also on your Tax and Tag renewal notice.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my vehicle registration? 

If you have DMV-related questions about your vehicle registration under the Tag & Tax Together program, please call (919) 814-1779.

< top of page


What methods of payment can be used to pay taxes online?

Any of the four major credit cards American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa or a PayPal account. A PayPal account is not required to pay by credit card.

Can partial payments be made online?
Partial payments cannot be paid on line. To make partial payment you must pay by mail or at the Tax Office with cash, check, money order, or certified check.

May I pay my taxes with a personal check?
We accept checks made payable to the Stanly County Tax Collector on most accounts with the exception of motor vehicles that have been blocked by the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. These bills must be paid in cash, by money order, cashier's check from the bank, or by credit or debit card. When paying by mail, please include a copy of your tax bill and/or the account number on your check. For your protection, please do not send cash through the mail or put in the drop box.

Where do I go to pay my taxes?
Tax Collections is located on the first floor (Room 104) of the Stanly County Courthouse at 201 South Second Street in Albemarle, NC 28001 (See Directions Link on the left side of the home page). For your convenience, there is a drop box located at the rear of the Courthouse.

What if my tag is blocked?
Blocked tags may be paid online or in person using cash, money order, or certified check. Personal checks are not accepted on blocked tags.

May I make payments on my taxes?
In most cases, yes. Payments on taxes that are not delinquent are always accepted. Payment plans may be arranged on delinquent taxes only if no enforced collection action has been started. 

< top of page

When will my payment be posted when paid online?
Your payment will be credited on the date of the transaction and will be reflected on our website on the same day. Blocks will be removed the next business day.

Why are processing fees and transaction fees charged when paying online?
These fees are charged by PayPal to cover payment transactions made on the web site; this fee is not retained by Stanly County.

Can credit card or debit card payments be made at the Tax Department?
Credit (MasterCard, Visa, and Discover) and debit cards are accepted at the counter in the Tax Collections office. Telephone payments are not accepted on the Tax Collections phone line, please call 1-888-586-0302 to make a telephone payment.

Will I receive a receipt when my payment is made online?
After completing your payment transaction you will be able to print a paid receipt.

Will I be able to take a receipt to the tag office to get my renewal?
Yes, after completing the payment transaction you will be able to print a paid receipt.

What if I find an error on my bill?
Please call us immediately if you see an error on the bill. For questions concerning motor vehicle bills such as incorrect values or situs (wrong fire district or city) you must call the Tax Assessor's Office at 704-986-3626 within 30 days of the due date.

When are delinquent real estate taxes advertised in the Stanly News and Press?
Delinquent real estate taxes are normally advertised in early March. Payments made up to two weeks prior to the advertising date may not be reflected due to newspaper print deadlines. There is an additional charge placed on your bill for advertisement.

Do I still owe the taxes if I have traded my car?
In most cases, yes. If you transferred the license tag for the old car to the new car, there will be no changes to the bill. If you sold your car and turned in the tag, you must bring a copy of the NCDMV FS20 receipt from the tag agency to the Stanly County Tax Collector’s Office within 12 months from the date the tag was surrendered. You may be eligible for a proration of your tax bill depending on how much "time" was left on the tag. This proration could mean a reduction of your bill or a refund of taxes already paid.

What happens if I don't pay my taxes?
Delinquent taxes are subject to collection action as authorized by the North Carolina General Statutes. These actions may include garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts, debt setoff of delinquent tax bills from individual North Carolina tax returns and lottery winnings, levy (seizure) of personal property, and foreclosure of real estate. There will be additional fees added to your bill when these actions are taken.


How do I find out if the mortgage company paid my tax bill?
If you are unsure as to whether your tax bill has been paid, please check with your mortgage company.

< top of page